This is just how simple it is (and a great way to recycle those paper towel rolls too.
Materials you will need:
- long tubes from gift wrap/paper towel s/cling film etc
- cardboard or paper to decorate
- tape & scissors
- seeds, rice or split peas
- items to decorate, crayons, stickers, paints, pens...
- Measure the paper/card so that it sits slightly below each end of the tube (A4 or A5 sheets usually work well) trim excess so that it is just long enough to wrap around the tube, allowing a 2cm overlap down the length for taping.
- Next you can get your little designer to start decorating the paper or card which will be wrapped around the tube at the end while you get it ready to fill.
- Cut out two 4 inch circles out of the paper (trace a cereal bowl for the shape). Put one over the end of the tube, and fold the sides down, and tape around the tube. Make sure it is well taped on and use sturdy paper so that your Rain Stick won't leak!
- Pour in 1/4 cup of rice and 2 tbsp of seeds (dried peas, popcorn, or lentils) into the tube. Depending on the age of your child - they may enjoy helping with this part too.
- Tape the other circle over the open end of the tube and tape in place.
- Now its time to add the decorated paper. Wrap the paper around the tube and tape in place.
There you have it - a fabulous musical instrument that your little angel has made themselves...and the best thing is the sound it creates is that of soothing falling rain!